Friday, June 19, 2009

Thai Tigers

Having covered walking highlights of Chiang Mai the afternoon I arrived, I had the opportunity for another excursion. I thought about an artisan tour – the area is known for its wood, celadon, silk and umbrellas – but I didn’t want to be in a van for most of the day, and even though I didn’t get to see them made, I thought I could see enough products at the night market. So I designed my own excursions along with a tuk-tuk driver. But first, I slept late, which I hadn’t done yet on this trip!

Near Kanchanaburi there’s a tiger rescue mission – had I stayed there for more than a day I might have gone there. I had that in mind when I chose to go to Tiger Kingdom on this day – I felt it would be too touristy but I also thought that no Princetonian friend would forgive me if they heard I had the chance to get up close and personal with tigers and didn’t go.


Tiger Kingdom is actually pretty awe-inspiring – communing with wildlife really does have an impact. The tigers are split into four age groups and you pay a fee for each 15- to 20-minute visit. Once the tigers hit adulthood (at two years), there’s no more human contact – they breed and/or get moved to a zoo. I chose first to be in with the biggest ones, the 13-month-old tigers. I sat next to a sleeping one, petted it, rested my head on it, put my hand next to its paw; all the while the handler took my camera and snapped away. Are they drugged, I asked? No, they just sleep sixteen hours a day, so they don’t mind the contact. When the handler woke the tiger up for a picture, the tiger was fine about it and then went back to sleep. Remarkable.


I passed the room with the youngest tigers (the other age groups were in outdoor cages) and they looked so cute that I paid the (higher) fee to be in with them too. The babies don’t sleep as much as the older tigers – they play more, just like big kittens! It was so cool to hold a baby tiger! Not too touristy after all – or if it was, I was happy to be a tourist!



On the way back I asked the driver to stop at U Mong, a wat set in a forest – this beautiful setting included Buddhist sayings posted on the trees – it was peaceful.


This picture of the meditating monk is one of my favorites.


Back to the city for lunch and then to the oldest wat in Chiang Mai, one with elephants holding up the stupa.


And then I took a songatheuw to Bo Song, the umbrella village – I figured that this was the artisan product most different from ones I have seen before. It was interesting, even though I didn’t need an umbrella (of course, it rained the next day – very unusual for the dry season!). One final trip to the night bazaar and I think I had everyone covered!



No comments:

Post a Comment