Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sayonara to Asia


Since I just heard from one of my new friends on the other side of the world, I think I’ll talk about my last day in Asia. In Thailand I met friends of friends who were Peace Corps connections. After that I met Princeton connections – two people from the Princeton-writing e-list who I had been in touch with for years but had never met, one in Indonesia and one in Hawaii, and one in Japan. I mentioned to the friend in Indonesia that I was stopping in Osaka on the way back for a twelve-hour layover and that I had been told to go to Kyoto, and he introduced me to a classmate in Kyoto, who offered to show me around for a day! It’s true, when alums of Princeton gather anywhere, there’s a place they think of, longing to be there…or not, but there is a bond and an opening for an interesting conversation.


Elizabeth is a professor in Kyoto, teaching religion – she listened to my impressions of Buddhism and I am sure could have told me a lot that I didn’t know – and has been there for decades. It was great to see Kyoto with someone who knew the language and knew her way around. I took a red-eye that left Bali at 1 am and arrived in Osaka around 9:00 in the morning. There was a bullet train that left right from the airport for a 90-minute ride to Kyoto. Elizabeth met me at the station with a hat and gloves (and her son’s coat, but I decided that with the hat and gloves, I would be okay) – first time I had been cold since Madrid (December 5 – January 15).


We went to a Starbucks – which didn’t seem at all out of place - for coffee and a snack; I was wowed by the heated toilet seat. I came out of the restroom and said I would just spend the day back in there on the seat! But there was more to see. Elizabeth wanted to show me a temple that was kind of off the beaten track, but it was closed. It was still pretty, with a nice Japanese garden. She then gave up (I don’t mind the beaten track; usually must-sees are must-sees for a reason) and took me to the Golden Pavilion. It was beautiful. I had to say, though, that it didn’t seem all that exotic – maybe I have seen so many Japanese gardens and temples in the United States that they didn’t seem exotic. I had to remind myself that I was seeing a Japanese temple in Japan! There were some neat aspects to it though – watching a group pray and buying a good luck token. You can buy items for all sorts of good luck, including test-taking. We also experienced a traditional tea ceremony - as I said, I don't mind the beaten track.


We then went for some local food and I had something I had never had in a Japanese restaurant elsewhere – kind of a giant pancake, one with cheese and one with meat. I don’t remember its name, because Elizabeth took care of everything, but I think this food could stand up to export! We also stopped at a shop and she talked me into buying some clogs with a painted traditional pattern. I am not one to buy shoes on impulse but somehow I did!


She had to get going, so I thought I too would get going; it was already getting dark and it was just as well I got back to the airport, even though I did have some time before my 9:00 flight. Two overnight flights in a row (yes, in coach). Got to Japan on January 15, spent the day there and got to Hawaii on January 15! My first time across the international date line.

No comments:

Post a Comment