Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring in Southampton

I spend a good part of each day in the dining room, on the computer (with frequent breaks so I’m not in one position all day; need to rest my back, shoulders and eyes) looking out the window. It doesn’t feel weird to be inside for most of the day when I have a big picture window and a view of the ocean. Most days at dusk some deer come by – occasionally they bound by, which is a sight to see. One day I saw a bird walk by, wondered what it might be, googled “pheasant” and that’s what it was! A variety of birds also fly by – mostly gulls but it seems as though there are several others of interest. And I can watch the plants grow! Last week some shoots started and now they are stems – a flower is on the way. Daffodils? And now the bushes are starting to bud – there are so many bare bushes and hedges here that I can only imagine how green it gets in the summer. Right now it’s fun to pass houses and see them through the branches – they must be much more hidden by the leaves in the summer. The flowering trees are just starting to bloom here too. When I was in Virginia a month ago many of the trees were in full flower and it was stunning. As I take the Jitney into the city I see flowering trees – I haven’t been in New York in the spring in so many years that I didn’t realize how many flowering trees there are. All the way down Lexington Avenue there are flowering trees! It’s amazing how much later everything is here on the East End. But it’s nice to see everything come alive.

Today, though, it’s raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment