Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Capital Idea

I visited the DC area a couple of times this year, for job interviews and to see friends. So far no job offers, but a lot of the non-profit and government jobs that fit an RPCV are there, so you never know. I usually stay with my friends Elisa and Steve and their family, and we always have fun (and lots of games)! I saw other friends as well on my visits this year, including some fellow Morocco RPCVs, and I’ve had a couple of chances to visit the Peace Corps headquarters and the RPCV career center.


Last year I was there before the baseball season started, but this year I scheduled my first trip around the Nationals schedule, and saw a game at the new (to me) Nationals ballpark. There were almost as many Phillies fans there as Nationals fans, which made for an enthusiastic crowd anytime anything happened – and the home team won (if they hadn’t, it would have been a shame). I like the ballpark – if I do live there, even if the team isn’t very good, it’s a comfortable place to watch a game.



One of the highlights – and in all likelihood the winner of the award for Best Dinner of 2010 – was a trip to the Inn at Little Washington. Elisa, Steve and I had gone for a fancy dinner for a major birthday ten years ago, and at the time we talked about going to the Inn at Little Washington for the next major (I still have trouble with the number). It seemed extravagant in this economy, so we had a scaled-back (but still celebratory) dinner after I came back from Morocco. But it was still out there… so for Elisa’s birthday I gave her a gift certificate that would cover part of a dinner for two (or three…). And we did it! This restaurant is consistently ranked among the top in the country, and it lives up to its reputation. Each course was beautiful and delicious. I’d love to go again in another ten years – or sooner!








One of my trips took me there during cherry blossom season! Stunning. It was also nice to see some Smithsonian exhibits this year – I don’t think I would tire of the Smithsonian if I lived there! The first one was “Read my Pins,” a showing of the lapel pins won by Madeleine Albright when she was Secretary of State. She chose her pins carefully based on who she was meeting with and what she wanted to accomplish. I also went to the Sackler for an exhibit on Buddha; there were also some sculptures from the National Museum of Cambodia. I had seen some in place, and I have such an appreciation now for these treasures. And we went to the National Sculpture Garden for some photo ops. More treasures!


No comments:

Post a Comment