Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Further Adventures Returns!

I’m back! It’s been a long time since I’ve written in this blog – but I made a promise to myself and to my audience that I would write more. Actually, I’ve been writing off and on since my return from the Philippines, just not posting – in part because I didn’t know where to begin after such a long absence, with so many travels to talk about. I’ve decided to begin here, and then see where it takes me.

Here – is Southampton, New York. As I did last year, I returned from Southeast Asia and a trip across America (once-in-a-lifetime turned into twice in two years!) and have based myself in my sister’s summer home – most of the time nobody else is using it, and I have time and space to myself. It’s beautiful out here, which is good for the body and the soul. I’ve managed to create some stress for myself while job hunting, but that’s beyond the scope of this blog. I’d rather focus on the positive anyway, so I shall relate some of the adventures I’ve had out here on the East End of Long Island. Some pictures of the tranquility:




I arrived here in mid-March and had just two full days before going away again – but those two days happened to coincide with the first two days of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. That was a nice coincidence! I hadn’t seen much of the Big Dance on television in a long time – perfect background music for unpacking and repacking. Also nice was the fact that the weather was nice when I arrived – I went out for a walk and for a bike ride. Last year it was bleak almost all the way through the end of June! I had to get driven to the grocery store since it was too cold or wet or windy to go out on foot or bike.

One of my most ambitious bike rides this spring was the Tour de Cure. I’ve done the Tour de Cure in Illinois in the past; it benefits the American Diabetes Association and I’ve raised money for it in memory of my friend Paul. This one took place on the North Fork of Long Island – a flat course, with not a lot of traffic, past vineyards and through cute small towns and at times along the water. I hadn’t been back to the North Fork since my one day of exploration there last summer; I loved it then and was looking forward to the ride.

It was not a success, though. I rented a full-size car, not realizing how small full-sized cars are these days. The bike I normally use here has a basket and panniers on the back, and I couldn’t fit it into the car - and by the time I gave up trying, I was in a bit of a rush to get to the start. I rode one of the other bikes that are here in the garage up and down the driveway and put it in the car. It turned out to be a bad choice – it was too small for me, and it had mountain bike tires that made for slow going on the roads. I enjoyed the scenery but the biking was tough going; I finally turned around before getting to the halfway point of the lowest-mileage ride (the 25) and took the straightest way back rather than following the course. And was pelted for a while by cold rain. I walked the bike up the slightest inclines and at one point a support vehicle stopped and asked me if I was all right. There was never a question as to whether or not I’d make it; it was just tough going. I did it for my friend and for my donors, but I’d rather have done it triumphantly! I’d like to ride there again, with a different car and a different bike (or maybe just in a car!). At one of my rest points I snapped a picture of this post office – the North Fork has a lot of quaint in it. I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment