Saturday, October 23, 2010

From the East End to Down East - Part II

On Monday morning, after a great B at the B&B (you never know what you are going to get; this one included wild Maine blueberries), I drove about half an hour inland to the camp. I never went to sleepaway camp when I was growing up – I wish I could go now, and have all of those activities! This camp has a big emphasis on arts and crafts and animal care, but it also has sports and other recreation. The day that I visited, the older kids were on a field trip and the younger kids were doing gross day – at first my niece was eager to be taken offsite, but then she decided to get painted with marshmallow and chocolate first (and then shower!).


There’s no set visiting day at this camp, but when family members come to visit the campers, there’s a little ritual, and my niece wanted to do what everyone else did. First, we went to Young’s Lobster Pound, where she had a giant lobster roll and I had bisque (we’ve since discovered a restaurant on the Upper East Side that has a great lobster roll, so she’s quite happy). We then went into Belfast and shopped; she has to have some treats to show her camp friends. And then we went for ice cream. Sometimes when the family members come to visit, they keep the camper overnight, going to dinner in town. I hadn’t planned to do that, and it wouldn’t have been a good day for it – this was the day that the campers were all waiting for, Candy Drop. A plane flies over the camp, raining candy on the campers, who run around with pillowcases and bags (it did seem as though the camp had a lot of healthy food, but it’s good to know that candy still has its place). I didn’t get to witness this – I was to drop her off and leave – but it was strongly recommended that I get her back in time for it, and, without completely spoiling the surprise, I did so.



And then it was on to Bar Harbor – another three or so hours away! It’s just as well I broke up the trip with a night in Belfast. I got there before dark and had time to see the sunset over the water. The town was busy – again, glad I was in quiet Belfast the night before. Lots of restaurants, bars and tourist shops. But pleasant, with character. I got there just in time, too – the Obamas were due to come that coming weekend. Just as well I had to get back!





On Tuesday, after another B with more wild Maine blueberries, I had about three hours in Acadia. I’m glad I walked around Bar Harbor the night before and saw the harbor with boats and islands – it was all fogged in the next day! I drove the main park loop and went on a couple of very short trails – I would have loved to have the whole day there. Went to Jordan Pond, one of the better-known parts of the park. Tea is the thing there, but I had to leave before teatime. And then to Cadillac Mountain, the spot in the United States that sees the sunrise before anyplace else. I didn’t try to get there before sunrise, and I’m glad I slept in – fog fog fog! I saw a picture of the Obamas – they had a nice day and a nice view! I still had a nice time and thought it was beautiful.






The ride back took eleven hours, five of which were through Maine. I had a reservation for the 8:30 pm ferry but was pleased to make it to New London in time for the 7 – that made a big difference. My niece is back and forth about whether she’ll go to the camp next year; either way, her dad has promised to visit her (meaning her mom would too). Who knows what my situation will be next year anyway – I’m glad I had a chance to take this little lagniappe trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment